What is green building and why is it important?
This method of sustainable design is the practice of increasing efficiency with which buildings and their sites use and harvest energy, water, and materials. Along with protecting the building life-cycle which consists of siting, design, construction, operation, maintenance, renovation, and deconstruction.
Green building is important because it has a large impact on our natural environment. The buildings that we live and work in are responsible for the consumption of many of our natural resources.
There are many environmental benefits of green buildings:
- Biodiversity and ecosystems are enhanced and protected
- Air and water quality is improved
- Waste streams are reduced
- Natural resources can be conserved and restored
Contractors are benefiting economically when opting for a green building by:
- Reducing operating costs
- Improving occupant productivity
- Enhancing asset value and profits
- Optimizing life-cycle economic performance
Green buildings also provide a healthy and comfortable experience. The indoor air quality becomes cleaner, the strain on local utility infrastructure minimizes, all in all, improving the quality of life.